The students in this course are required to analyse reasons for failure of different components and select the required materials for different applications. For this purpose, it is essential to teach them concepts, principles, applications and practices covering stress, strain, bending moment, shearing force, shafts, columns and springs. Hence this subject has been introduced. It is expected that efforts will be made to provide appropriate learning experiences in the use of basic principles to the solution of applied problems to develop the required competencies.
The objective of the paper is to facilitate the student with the basics of Refrigeration & Air conditioning that are required for an engineering student. The main objective of course are as follows:
1. Learning the fundamental principles and different methods of refrigeration and air conditioning.
2. Study of various refrigeration cycles and evaluate performance using charts and/ or refrigerant property tables.
3. Comparative study of different refrigerants with respect to properties, applications and environmental issues.
4. Study of the various equipment-operating principles, operating and safety controls employed in refrigeration air conditioning systems.
5. Understand the basic air conditioning processes on psychometric charts, calculate cooling load for its applications in comfort and industrial air conditioning.